Jenny Baumgartner is Senior Acquisitions Editor at Nelson Books, a division of HarperCollins Christian Publishing. She’s been in Christian publishing since 1998 when she joined Thomas Nelson’s gift book division. Since then, she has edited both nonfiction and fiction, partnering with many award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors, including the #1 New York Times bestseller, Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis and the newly released A Serial Killer’s Daughter by Kerri Rawson, which was featured on the cover of People and was the subject of a two-hour 20/20 special.
This course, How Books Get Acquired at HarperCollins Christian Publishing, can help you get a clear understanding of what it looks like for a book to get acquired and published from inside one of the world’s leading publishers. HarperCollins Christian Publishing publishes more than half of the top 50 bestselling Christian books.
Learn First Hand
- Which projects are considered for acquisition, which are not, and what you need to do for your book.
- How she works with authors and how it differs from working with agents.
- What to include in your book proposal and why the proposal is so important.
- Who determines whether a book is acquired
- What happens in each step of the acquisitions and publishing process
- What relationships an author has inside the publishing house–what to expect and what not to expect
Jenny answered several authors’ questions at the end of the session such as:
- Is it true an author must have a large blog following to get a book published?
- How much do agents cost?
- What are the components you look at when reviewing manuscripts?
You’re working hard to write and develop your book.
You dream of getting it published and feel called to share it with as many people as possible. Yet, publishing feels so difficult to understand. It’s confusing and overwhelming and hard to even know where to start.
In this online course, Jenny Baumgartner, Senior Acquisitions Editor at Nelson Books, a division of HarperCollins Christian Publishing, walks you through the book acquisition and publishing process.
This course includes:
- Video interview with Jenny Baumgartner, Sr. Acquisition Editor at Nelson Books
- A Complete transcript of the video including Q&A session with HarperCollins Christian Publishing’s director of publishing services, Pete Nikolai
- The ebook, Complete Your Book Proposal in 5 Days, by Author Gateway director, Paul Mikos